We are always looking for volunteers to come to Kenya. Our trip blogs can provide some insight on what MCOH volunteers do while in Kenya. Please read our Mission Statement and contact us to find out how you can help. We are looking for anyone with a willing heart and a few weeks to travel. Anyone is welcome to join, however we actively seek individuals with medical, dental, vision, engineering, and teaching backgrounds.
How much does it cost to travel to Kenya?
97% of MCOH’s funds go directly to people of Kenya (the other 3% goes to operating costs such as printing, renting shipping containers, etc). We are committed to ensuring that our funds go to the people who need them most. This means that our volunteers pay for their own trip to Kenya. Volunteers usually spend between $3500 and $4500, depending on flights, length of stay, and which area of Kenya we are working in (Magetta Island or Mikinduri). Volunteers receive a tax receipt for 90% of their costs (the other 10% is not noted on the tax receipt as this accounts for your safari).
When do we go to Kenya?
Our mission trips are usually in February and last 2-3 weeks. Many of our volunteers book their flights in August during airline “seat sales”. We fly into Nairobi and travel to our destination by combi (private vans).
What do we do in Kenya?
Anything and everything! Our work depends on the needs of the community. In the past volunteers have:
- dug trenches and foundations
- hooked up water lines
- hosted health clinics
- hosted community education sessions (topics vary widely, from health education to agriculture development)
- taught in schools
- built wheelchairs, ramps, and other accessibility devices
- We also go on a safari! (check it out)
- The most important thing you will do while you are there? You will meet the people who need our help.
You do not need to have “a skill” to travel with us. The only thing you need to have is an open mind and a kind heart. All hands are welcome.
If you would like more information about our mission trips, send us an email! We would love to chat with you.